Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Clip Things

A few years ago, there was a chain fabric store in our neighborhood that had a great sale on those little red clips by Clover.  I bought some and liked them but didn't have enough to go around a quilt.  Someone pointed out that the very same clips were available on ebay and Amazon for a great savings.  I bought this cute little tin of generic clips and now have enough to go around a quilt to hold the binding in place when I machine stitch the binding.

Some have said the clips are difficult to pick up and pinch open.  My recommendation is to line them up on the edge of a little basket like the Lazy Girl Button Boats.  The are much easier to grasp and pinch when sitting upright.

Another product that is saving me much time and hassle are the Clip-n-Seal Mondo 10 Pack Bag Clips.  These are the same thing as the Red Snappers longarm quilters use for attaching quilt backings to leaders on roller bars but cost about half as much.  They are a faster and safer alternative to using long corsage pins to secure the backing fabric to the heavy canvas leaders.

I originally purchased a similar brand of bag clips in shorter lengths and fun bright colors but when they became more flexible with use, they didn't hold the backing securely.  They are still useful when positioning the quilt backing to hold it in place until I swap them out with the longer and stronger version (and as designed for keeping bags securely sealed).  Also, I made side clips to replace the heavy clamps that keep the edges of the backing from sagging that are just like the Leader Grips side clips

Check Joey's blog entry for a link to the Mondo 10 Pack because she kindly answered my questions and she gets credit for referrals if you purchase.



2 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I'd never heard of the clips before. One of these days, we'll get enough stuff out of the basement, and maybe I can set up my 'long arm' that I got for free, and try it out. I spy a cute mug rug in the pictures. Glad you like it.

Sally said...

Cheryl, from the day I took a class in FMQ on my standard sewing machine, I knew I wanted to drive the machine and not the fabric sandwich. One baby quilt was all I managed to actually FMQ. A friend bought a long bed Juki and a frame with a carriage to hold it. I gave it a whirl and was hook. Moving the machine over the quilt in rhythmic repetitive motion is really enjoyable and relaxing. And, yes, both of your mug mats are in constant use. One is always under the treadle teapot on our fireplace mantle.