Sunday, May 30, 2010

Digital Swatching

This tip came to me when I was knitting the swatch above for my next pair of socks. As a sock newbie, I wasn't totally sure how much yarn to buy and I didn't want to break my budget adding new yarns to the stash. Worrying that I may have purchased too little, I didn't want to waste yarn by cutting off my swatch, so I have it on a stitch holder, hooked to the sleeve of the yarn. If I run out of yarn, I can tear it out and use it without having to splice.

The picture of the swatch with the gauge will be added to my digital file on my projects. I am going to make a panoramic shot with a picture of the yarn sleeve, as well.

By the way, the yarn is Blackberry Comfy in worsted weight from Knit Picks. I am knitting on US 2 needles yielding a gauge of 6.5 - 7 stitches per inch. The yarn seems to be a bit finer than some worsted weight yarns and it is a bit less resilient because it is a cotton blend. Knitting on the US 2 needles makes it easy to get a good gauge for socks without knitting too tight on the needles. I just love the feel of the Comfy and it has a nice twist so it isn't spitting easily.

No comments: